Friday, September 5, 2008

The Longest Day (or how I've learned to hate airline travel)

5 September 2008
The human body was not meant to be stuffed into an airline seat for 8 hours (or even 3 hours, for that matter). There's just no (drug-free) way to relax and rest. The guy next to me (and I mean RIGHT NEXT TO ME) slept like a rock for most of the flight. He had a bag of drugs which he offered to me. In hindsight, I wish I had taken him up on his offer. I feel like I've been beaten with a bag of oranges. You know that feeling. Where even the sleep you do get is that awful, crick-in-the-neck, un-peaceful "public place" sleep, where you wake up and discover that your mouth is open and you might have drooled. So, I've really grown to hate airline travel.
But here we are - in beautiful Shannon, Ireland. Although we can't leave the airport, I can see out of the airport window. It's green, cloudy, rainy, chilly and windy - which is pretty much how I pictured Ireland. I will definitely have to come back here someday.
One of the blessings of being delayed in Europe is that I got to chat with my dear friend Nickolas Barris, who lives in Holland with his family. I didn't realize that I'd set up Skype to start up automatically, but it did. So, up pops this message from Nick. Catching up with him definitely made the time go faster. I can't wait to live in Europe!
(silent prayer: "God, please don't send us to Europe. Please don't send us to Europe.")
That's an inside joke. In 1994 Shannon prayed aloud, "God, please don't send us to Biloxi, Mississippi." So now we pray against being stationed in Europe. Shannon and I are very spiritual.
Well, I'm very tired. So I'm going to find a place to crash. We've got quite a few more hours of travel ahead.

Peace.
Michael

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey brother Mike. We are so glad you're doing a blog so we can hear how things are going for you. We didn't hear about you shipping out until after you were already getting ready to go or gone already. We would have really liked to said hey. Jim was especially sad.
Well, we can't wait to hear more. We love you a ton and you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Hugs and smiles, Rachel, Jim, Lucy and of course Zeke

Unknown said...

What's Up! Sorry I missed your call the other day but it came up in arabic and I usually don't answer those. How's the weather - not too hot I hope. My fantasy team is awesome and I am averaging 150 points per game. I beat Rev Shannon by 100. I've looked at yours and didn't see much. I'll get back to you later.

Rob